Saturday, November 17, 2012

Loud music, and the Buzzcocks

Bazza (see previous post) asked me what I was listening to, and I had to confess it wasn't anything recent.  Mostly I listen while travelling, and depending on mood and distractions, it will usually be podcasts, Ravel piano music, or something loud.

If I stack up the current batch of loud music chronologically, there's:

Jefferson Airplane - Ballad of you and me and Pooneil (live 1970)
Status Quo - Roll over lay down (live 1975)
Warsaw [Joy Division] - No love lost
Warsaw - Warsaw
New Order - Ceremony
Wipers - When it's over
Pretenders - Tattooed love boys (live)
Saints - Ghost ships (Chris Bailey's)
Fall - Realm of Dusk
Fall - Gross Chapel (both from Bend Sinister/Domesday Triad)
EMF - I believe (foetus remix)
Sonic Youth - Theresa's sound world
Sonic Youth - Wish fulfilment (both from Dirty)
You Am I - Berlin chair
Massive Attack - Unfinished sympathy
Dandy Warhols - Get off
Buzzcocks - Useless situation

So there's representation from each decade, but the newest one is only 2003 - and it's an old punk band!  Having said that, I was surprised to bump into this, off a 2003 eponymous album (track listed as 'Useless'). Although I never much cared for the Buzzcocks, this is what they should have been doing - verve, with a punk attitude.  From a bunch of blokes pushing 50!


No comments: